An Important Amino Acid
Taurine is an important amino acid that has an essential role in many biological events. It helps to regulate ion flow across the membranes of cells, biosynthesize water soluble bile salts, and helps the enzymes that are involved in the detoxification of potentially harmful compounds. It has antioxidant activities, and helps to enhance the function of the immune system.
Heart Disease and Neurological Function
Taurine is the most abundant amino acid in the heart, and is important for cardiovascular function. It helps to regulate blood pressure, and has been used to help with various types of heart disease including congestive heart failure, arrhythmias, and hypertension. It has also been found to minimize the effects of congestive heart failure. Taurine is able to cross the blood brain barrier, and may have potential in helping to deal with neurological disorders.
Taurine’s role in cardiovascular and neurological systems gives it a range of potential benefits for various health effects. AOR’s Taurine provides this amino acid in a safe and effective dose that reflects current research.
Taurine is a versatile amino acid first discovered in 1827, but only recently have its numerous clinical applications been reported.
Chemistry Taurine, or 2-aminoethanesulfonic acid, is not a true amino acid since it has an amino group and sulfonic acid group (SO3H) instead of carboxyl (COOH) group.
Pharmacological properties / Clinical Applications
Taurine is abundantly present in mother's milk, is necessary for normal growth, and present in high concentration in the platelets, lymphocytes, and retina.
(1) Antioxidant. Taurine reacts with hypochlorous acid (HOCI) produced in the retina and certain white cells during the "respiratory burst" to combat infection, thereby protecting the host from oxidative damage. Taurine is also a cell-membrane stabilizer and has been shown to protect against retinol toxicity and lipid peroxidation.
(2) Immunostimulant. Taurine significantly increases lymphocyte viability in a dose- dependent manner. Taurine was also found to be an activator of natural-killer cells and stimulated the release of interleukin I (IL-I) from macrophages.
(3) Detoxifying agent. Detoxifying agents render toxic substances more water soluble since, for the most part, such substances are poorly soluble. The increased solubility allows excretion through the kidneys, making it easier for the body to get rid of them. The amino group of taurine can react with carboxylic acid group of toxins to form amide linkages, making it easier to excrete potentially harmful substances.
(4) Neurologic disorders. Analysis of human brain tissue showed that over two-thirds of the samples of migraine/epileptic patients had reduced taurine content. Administration of taurine reduced the seizures in an animal model of human epilepsy, primarily due to stabilizing nerve cell membranes.
(5) Retinosis Pigmentosa. RP is a genetic disorder in which the retina slowly degenerates, resulting in early loss of night vision followed by the progressive development of tunnel vision, ending in blindness and often complicated with macular degeneration. RP victims appear to have abnormally low uptake of taurine, suggesting the use of the amino acid as a corrective.
(6) Cardiovascular. Taurine is the most important and abundant amino acid in the heart. It stimulates the activity of cAMP, allowing the entry of calcium. Taurine has been widely used in Japan to treat various types of heart disease, including congestive heart failure (2-4g daily), arrhythmias (2g), diuresis, and hypertension.
• Supports the function of the heart
• Stimulates the immune system
• Helps with detoxification
Alacer Emergen-C Heart Health Black Cherry - 30 packs
AOR Quercetin - 500 mg 100 caps
Carlson Co-Q10 (30mg) - 120 softgels
Doctor's Best Best Nattokinase - 90 vcaps
Enzymatic Therapy Garlinase Fresh - 100 tabs
Enzymatic Therapy Garlinase Fresh - 30 tabs
Enzymedica Lypo Gold - 120 caps
Genesis Today 4Heart Liquid - 32 fl.oz
HI-Tech Pharmaceuticals Heart-Rx - 120 caps
Irwin Naturals Complete Cardio Heart & Cholesterol Health - 84 sgels
Jarrow VenousPF - 90 tabs
Jarrow Hawthorn - 500 mg 100 caps
Jarrow Jarro-Gar 800 Garlic - 100 caps
Jarrow NattoMax Nattokinase - 2000 FU 90 vcaps
Jarrow Ultra Policosanols - 10 mg 100 softgels
Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract - Cardiovascular Formula 100 - 200 caps
Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract - Cardiovascular-Formula #100 - 100 vcaps
Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract - Extra Strength Cardiovascular - 120 caps
Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract - Original Cardio Formula 100 - 200 tabs
Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract - Original Cardio Formula 100 - 300 caps
Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract Blood Pressure Health Formula #109 - 80 cap
Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract Formula #108 - 100 caps
Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract Immune Formula #103 - 200 caps
Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract Phytosterols - Formula #107 - 80 caps
Kyolic EPA Aged Garlic Extract - 90 softgels
Kyolic Garlic with Vitamin E, Cayenne, Hawthorn #106 - 300 caps
Life Extension PQQ Caps with BioPQQ (10mg) - 30 vcaps
Life Extension Super Curcumin with Bioperine - 60 caps
Molecular Nutrition Lipid Stabil - 90 caps
MRM L-Carnitine with Co-Q10 Natural Orange Flavor - 16 fl.oz
Natrol Coenzyme Q-10 (100mg) - 30 caps
Natrol Coenzyme Q-10 (100mg) Time-Release - 30 vcaps
Natrol Coenzyme Q-10 (200mg) - 45 softgels
Natrol Coenzyme Q-10 (30mg) - 60 caps
Natrol Coenzyme Q-10 (400mg) - 30 softgels
Natrol Coenzyme Q-10 (50mg) - 60 caps
NattoMax Nattokinase - 2000 FU 30 vcaps
Naturally Vitamins Nattokinase - 120 tabs
Nature's Way Garlicin CF - 90 tabs
Nature's Way Garlicin HC - 90 tabs
Nature’s Herb Hawthorn – Power - 60 caps
Nature’s Herbs Bitter Melon - Power - 60 caps
Nature’s Way Black Walnut Hulls - 100 caps
Nature’s Way Butcher's Broom - 100 caps
Nature’s Way Garlicin Cardiovascular Health - 90 tabs
Nature’s Way Hawthorn Berries - 100 caps
Nature’s Way Hawthorn Berries - 100 vcaps
Nature’s Way Hawthorn Berries - 180 vcaps
Nature’s Way Hawthorn – Standardized Extract - 90 caps
Nature’s Way Heart Formula w/ CoQ10 & Folic Acid - 60 caps
Nature’s Way HeartCare Hawthorn Extract - 120 tabs
New Chapter Daily Ginger - 90 caps
New Chapter Turmeric Force - 60 softgels
Nordic Naturals Arctic Cod Liver Oil Strawberry - 8 fl.oz
Nordic Naturals Omega-3 Purified Fish Oil Lemon - 180 softgels
Now Curcumin - from Turmeric Root Extract - 60 Vcaps
Now Grape Seed Extract - 100 mg 100 Vcaps
Now Butcher's Broom - 100 caps
Now DHA-500 - Supports Cognitive Function - 90 softgels
Now Grape Seed Extract - 250 mg Mega Potency - 90 Vcaps
Now Hawthorn Berry - 550 mg 100 caps
Now Hawthorn Extract - 300 mg 90 vcaps
Now Heart Support - 120 tabs
Now Homocysteine Regulators - 90 vcaps
Now L-Carnitine Fitness Support - 500 mg 180 caps
Now L-Carnitine Fitness Support - 500 mg 30 caps
Now L-Carnitine Fitness Support - 500 mg 60 caps
Now L-Carnitine Fitness Support - 500 mg 60 tabs
Now Nattokinase - 120 vcaps
Now Natural Resveratrol - Mega Potency - 60 Vcaps
Now Policosanol - Cardiovascular Health - 10 mg 90 Vcaps
Now Policosanol - Cardiovascular Health - 20 mg 90 Vcaps
Now Pycnogenol - 30 mg 150 caps
Now Pycnogenol - 30 mg 60 capsules
Now Red Omega - 180 softgels
Now Red Omega - 90 softgels
Now Selenium - 200 mcg 90 capsules
Now Silica Complex - 500 mg 90 tablets
Now TMG - Supports Healthy Homocysteine Levels - 1000 mg 100 tablets
Now Ultra Omega-3 (500 EPA/250 DHA) - 90 Softgels
Now Ultra Omega-3 - 180 Softgels
Now Vitamin B-12 Complex Liquid - 2 oz.
Now Vitamin K-2 - 100 mcg 100 Vcaps
Nutrex Hawaii MD Formulas - CardioAstin - 60 vcaps
Nutricology NattoZyme - 100 mg 180 softgels
Nutricology NattoZyme - 36 mg 90 softgels
Olympian Labs Policosanol - 60 caps
Paradise Herbs Arjuna - 250 mg 60 vcaps
Pioneer Comprehensive Heart Health - 60 vcaps
Planetary Formulas Full Spectrum Andrographis - 400 mg 120 tabs
Planetary Formulas Hawthorn Heart - 120 tabs
Planetary Formulas Hawthorn Heart - 60 tabs
Planetary Formulas Horse Chestnut Vein Strength - 90 tabs
Solaray Butcher's Broom - 100 mg 60 caps
Source Naturals Blood Pressure Response - 120 tabs
Source Naturals Nattokinase - 90 softgels
Source Naturals Red Wine Extract with Resveratrol - 60 tabs
|Ingredients|| Contains: 270 Vegi-caps
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Amount per Serving:
Suggested Use: Take five to nine capsules daily, or as directed by a qualified health care practitioner.
Source: Pharmaceutical synthesis.
Pregnancy / Nursing: Not enough studies have been done to confirm or deny use. Very high dosages (10g daily) may cause stomach ulcers.
Cautions: None known.
Questions on AOR Taurine - Supports Cardiovascular Function - 270 Vcaps
No questions asked yet
Ask Your Own Question
You may also be interested in the following product(s)