Best Sources of Iron
Getting enough iron is essential to good health and there are plenty of ways to get your iron naturally from whole foods. The recommended daily amount of iron for men is 8 mg and for women it is 18 mg.
Some of the best sources of iron might actually surprise you. Below is a list of the top iron rich foods to eat for optimal health.
1. Clams: Believe it or not, clams are some of the riches iron sources around. Clams provide 22.3 mg of iron and 126 calories in just three ounces.
2. Oysters: Another great seafood for iron are oysters. Oysters have 10.2 mg of iron in three ounces. These powerful little guys are also high in vitamin B12.
3. Cereals: Most cereals are fortified with iron, which means they offer an easy way to stock up on this important mineral.
4. Soybeans: Soybeans are also a good source of iron especially for vegetarians. A half cup of cooked soybeans gets you 4.4 mg of iron. These are great on salads and other dishes.
5. Blackstrap Molasses: Looking for a sweeter way to get your iron. Try adding blackstrap molasses to your favourite recipe or simply with a glass of milk. A tablespoon of molasses will yield you a good 3.5 mg of iron.
6. Spinach: Green vegetables like spinach, kale, and collard greens are important sources of iron and other minerals. A half cup of cooked spinach will garner you 3.2 mg of iron in only 21 calories.
Getting iron into your daily diet is easy. Just try out some of the above suggestions and you'll get the iron you need each and every day. Without it, you can begin to feel tired, and to bruise easily. A simple blood test however can tell you whether or not you are deficient.
Nutrition & Health Guide
Learn how to shed pounds and lead a healthy and nutritious lifestyle with Astro Nutrition's acclaimed Weight Loss Tips. Get your FREE copy of the Astro Easy Weight Loss eBook by signing up.
Follow AstroNutrition on:
- Snacks in particular can be made in advance as a means of keeping you from overindulging... http://t.co/hT1aHtBb 1 year 48 weeks ago
- For weight loss, primrose oil also has much to offer... http://t.co/WNzsseLl 1 year 49 weeks ago
- For those seeking to maintain lean muscle mass and to build muscle bulk, Glutamine is a perfect supplement... http://t.co/Vfq3wH98 1 year 49 weeks ago