Eating Out on a Diet
Dieting can be a bit of a drag at any time, but when you're heading out to a restaurant with friends it can be a nightmare. Of course, you don't need to blow all your hard work just because you'd rather not pay a fortune for a bed of lettuce. Finding ways to eat out is essential if you are going to be able to stick to your plan. Below are some important considerations that will help make your dining experience easier and more fulfilling.
1. Plan ahead: When it comes to weight loss success, those with a plan tend to do a whole lot better than those that just hope that somehow they'll be able to lose weight. When it comes to eating out, the same is true.
First off, chose a restaurant that you know will at least have some healthier options. Plan to go to one that you've been to before or at least that you've heard has some good selections. It also doesn't hurt to check the menu online. Even calling ahead and asking how the kitchen feels about substitutions can be a good idea.
2. Mix and Match: Sometimes a restaurant doesn't have exactly the right meal for your diet on the menu, but with a little creativity and some flexibility from the kitchen you may be able to make something work. Try combining an appetizer or a small salad with a healthy, low fat protein like salmon or chicken breast.
3. Substitute: Often times you can substitute the not so healthy side dish for a healthier one. For instance, many meals come with fries, potato salad, mashed potatoes or some other high carb version of the noble potato. Try substituting a side salad or a fruit dish for these higher calorie options.
4. Broil, bake or steam: If you are at a restaurant that offers mostly fried foods you probably didn't plan very well in advance, but nevertheless you can still try to save your diet by asking if they would kindly broil, bake or steam your entree. This really shouldn't be too big of a challenge for the chef and will make a big difference to your end of day calorie count. By avoiding all the extra fat and grease of deep fried options you'll have helped to save yourself a bunch of unnecessary calories.
Like anything in life sticking to your diet requires equal amounts of foresight and hard work. Nevertheless, the above tips can help you stick to even some of the more challenging diet plans around.
Nutrition & Health Guide
Learn how to shed pounds and lead a healthy and nutritious lifestyle with Astro Nutrition's acclaimed Weight Loss Tips. Get your FREE copy of the Astro Easy Weight Loss eBook by signing up.
Follow AstroNutrition on:
- Snacks in particular can be made in advance as a means of keeping you from overindulging... http://t.co/hT1aHtBb 1 year 22 weeks ago
- For weight loss, primrose oil also has much to offer... http://t.co/WNzsseLl 1 year 22 weeks ago
- For those seeking to maintain lean muscle mass and to build muscle bulk, Glutamine is a perfect supplement... http://t.co/Vfq3wH98 1 year 23 weeks ago