Tips for a Safe Barbeque Season
It’s barbeque season again. Potatoes, meat, chicken and veggies are all being char-grilled in back yards. Nothing says summer more than this, but have you ever thought about what is going on with that grill? Many people don’t understand the safe way of using a grill is the slow way. Putting your meat, fish, or fowl over direct heat from the grill can put you at an increased risk of developing cancer.
What happens is that chemicals form, or transform, in meat that is burnt on the outside, but just barely warmed on the inside. When meat is cooked with coal, gas, or oil fueled fires the risk of exposure to toxic chemicals such as Heterocyclic Amines (HCA’s) increases. Barbequing also increase the risk of exposure to dioxins. It has been observed that the typical two-hour back yard barbeque can release the same amount of dioxins into the air as burning 220,000 cigarettes.
So, some tips on grilling the safe way.
1. Use thin cuts of meat for the grill, and cook them away from direct heat.
2. Pre-cook your food in the microwave. Two minutes in the microwave can decrease the risk of HCA’s by ninety percent.
3. Avoid thick BB-Q sauces.
4. Add other ingredients to your meats. Adding things such as soy to burgers can reduce up to 95 per cent of HCA.
5. Learn to cook slowly. If you are using a BB-Q then you are likely afforded a bit of leisure time. Relax and get started with cooking earlier. Don’t put your food directly over the flame, and never let the flame touch the meat.
Nutrition & Health Guide
Learn how to shed pounds and lead a healthy and nutritious lifestyle with Astro Nutrition's acclaimed Weight Loss Tips. Get your FREE copy of the Astro Easy Weight Loss eBook by signing up.
Follow AstroNutrition on:
- Snacks in particular can be made in advance as a means of keeping you from overindulging... http://t.co/hT1aHtBb 1 year 25 weeks ago
- For weight loss, primrose oil also has much to offer... http://t.co/WNzsseLl 1 year 26 weeks ago
- For those seeking to maintain lean muscle mass and to build muscle bulk, Glutamine is a perfect supplement... http://t.co/Vfq3wH98 1 year 26 weeks ago