Muscletech Creakic Hardcore
- Product Review (submitted on February 19, 2011):
CREAKIC Hardcore is advertised as the “most powerful hardcore creatine pill” ever that provides you with “explosive gains in muscle size and strength.” Is this just marketing hype or is CREAKIC really an advanced creatine formula capable of “offset the detructive effects” of reactive oxygen species on creatine transport?
CREAKIC Hardcore claims to be the “World’s First and Only Muscle Receptor Hyperactivator.” It contains six ingredients.
1. Creatine-6,8-Thioctic Acid-Ketoisocaproic Acid Calcium: This is a combination of creatine, alpha lipoic acid (6,8-thioctic acid), and alpha-ketoisocaproic acid (KIC). Creatine is a well-researched supplement known to improve strength. Alpha Lipoic acid is a powerful antioxidant that imporves insulin sensitivity/glucose disposal and creatine uptake.
Unlike the first two aspects, KIC has not been studied much and the little research is conflicting. One study found no performance benefit from using up to 9g of KIC while another found KIC to redcue the decline in mean power felt over repeated cycling sprints. Thus KIC may or may not be effective and creatine-6,8-thioctic acid-ketoisocapronic acid has not been used in any published studies to prove how effective it is.
2. Creatine Taurinate: This is a patented combination of creatine and the amino acid taurine. Taurine has been found to improve insulin sensitivity and thus a potentially useful adjunct. However, there is no evidence that it actually improves creatine uptake. This combination creatine form has not been studied.
3. Creatine Pyroglutamate: This creatine can cross the blood-brain barrier. Thus it is often used to improve memory and cognition. The studies of effectiveness are limited to some old animal studies and one human study. Even if effective, the dose in CREAKIC is probably too small for results.
4. Curcuma longa Powder: This is tumeric, which is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.
5. Cinnamomum Cassia Blume Extract: Simply, this is cinnamon, which can improve glucose tolerance.
6. Bambusa Breviflora Extract: This is a bamboo extract that might possess antioxidant and anti-tumor properties, but there is very little evidence of this currently.
Basically CREAKIC contains three creatine compounds that have only minimally been studied and thus unproven in their effectiveness. It seems at least one is effective, but it is just in house studies. The antioxidants might improve it slightly with ROS effects of creatine transport, but the supporting data is minimal.
Overall the reports seem positive and it provides some gains, but pretty much comparable to other creatines.