Supports brain function
• Enhances cognition
• Supports blood flow in the brain
• Helps delay the onset of dementia
Protects the brain
Ginkgo biloba is a type of tree whose extracts are recognized for their ability to maintain healthy brain function and improve blood flow. Its main ingredients include flavonoids (such as quercetin and kaempferol), terpenoids, and ginkgolides, which act as antioxidants to protect against cellular damage and which support blood circulation in the brain. These effects keep energy and oxygen flowing to the brain, helping it to maintain its optimal function.
Improves cognitive function
Ginkgo biloba extracts have been well studied for their cognitive effects. Clinical trials have found that they can enhance brain function and memory both in elderly individuals with cognitive impairment and in healthy adults. The extracts can also stabilize mood and alleviate anxiety symptoms in patients whose mental functions are declining. Ginkgo has been found to delay the onset of Alzheimer's disease and improve symptoms of dementia. It also has beneficial effects on cardiovascular health and cancer-fighting abilities.
A mental boost
Ginkgo biloba contains a powerful combination of compounds to enhance brain function. AOR's Ginkgo Biloba is a well-standardized extract, with effective quantities of active ingredients to maintain the optimal health of your mind.
Ginkgo biloba, one of the best-selling herbs in the world, contains a variety of compounds, but the main active ingredients fall into two main categories:
1. Terpenoid Lactones: Terpenoid substances impart a strong, bitter flavor. Ginkgo Biloba 50:1 contains a minimum of 6% terpene lactones, considered the highest percent available.
2. Flavonoids (Antioxidant Potential):
a. Ginkgoflavonglycosides are up to 10 times more potent than citrus bioflavonoids. Ginkgo Biloba 50:1 is standardized for 24% flavonoids. Some of the flavonoids found in Ginkgo biloba include quercetin, kaempferol and isorhamnetin.
b. Proanthocyanidins are flavonoids which are also found in pine bark, grape skin and grape seeds.
c. Other flavonoid groups found in minor quantities are coumarin esters and catechins.
The most potent and important compounds in ginkgo biloba are the ginkgolides A and B. Ginkgo Biloba 50:1 is rich in Ginkgolides, containing a minimum of 0.8% -- the highest range available.
Ginkgo Biloba 50:1 begins with its plantation-grown leaves. Japan Greenwave carefully cultivates their own leaves on plantations using agricultural technology to produce leaves richer and more potent in ginkgolide B. No extraction technology can compensate for inferior plant material. Much of the original European research on ginkgo biloba extract used Japan Greenwave leaves for their extractions.
Ginkgo biloba enhances cerebral blood flow, keeping needed energy and oxygen flowing to the brain. Many controlled trials have demonstrated the ability of ginkgo to support cognitive function.
• A meta-analysis of nine studies concluded that ginkgo biloba extracts are beneficial in dementia.
• In Alzheimer patients with mild to severe dementia, ginkgo biloba appeared to be capable of stabilizing and improving the cognitive performance and the social functioning of demented patients. It has also been shown to delay the onset of Alzheimer's disease.
• When compared to the drug donepezil, ginkgo biloba was found to be just as effective for improving the Clinical Global Impression score.
• Ginkgo biloba extract in patients with mental decline led to significantly superior measures of anxiety disorder or adjustment disorder with anxious mood compared to the placebo group. Ginkgo biloba is also useful for those whose mental faculties have not yet begun to decline:
• Healthy volunteers between 50 and 65 years of age with no mental disorders were given ginkgo biloba extracts for 4 weeks. Self-estimated mental health and quality of life were significantly better in the ginkgo group compared to placebo.
• Acute administration of ginkgo biloba (120-360 mg) produced a sustained improvement in attention in healthy young adults compared to placebo.
Cancer fighting potential
Ginkgo biloba is beneficial in fighting cancer. In vitro studies have found that it is effective against various forms of human cancer cells, including ovarian cancer, breast cancer and hepatocellular carcinoma. A clinical trial found that ginkgo biloba decreased the risk of ovarian cancer. These effects are partly due to the anti-proliferative effects of ginkgo extracts, along with quercetin and ginkgolide A and B. The latter appear to be able to block the cell cycle, thereby preventing cancer cells from continuing to divide.
Ginkgo biloba has overall been found to be safe and well tolerated, although it does have several potential drug interactions to be aware of.